Minutes for Board of Trade meetings
« Previous page
New Hamburg Board of Trade General Membership Meeting
Wednesday, March 26, 2014
- Catered by MeMe's.
- 50/50 draw:
$65.00 was won by Troy Hoerle.
- Paul Knowles introduced the New Hamburg Live! live auction to benefit the festival of the arts. Sports memorabilia was on display and members were able to place their bids in advance of the silent auction event at Wilmot Recreation Centre on Friday, April 5 and Saturday, April 6.
1. Guest Speaker
- Township of Wilmot's Mayor Les Armstrong. Topic: State of the Township. The Mayor's speech covered various subjects, including:
- Continued growth in Wilmot.
- The GO Train layover.
- The success of the Wilmot Recreation Centre, which is used for national torunaments.
- The Trillium cheque presentation for the Wilmot Splash Pad.
- The refurbishment of the New Hamburg Community Centre. There will be an open house for the public to view the updates (Tuesday, April 15; 7:00pm - 9:00pm).
- The Township building at Castle Kilbride was paid off in 2013.
- The probability of a third icepad being needed, including dressing rooms etc, in 2018.
- A new digital announcement sign outside New Hamburg's post office will replace the old, manual sign by May 15, 2014.
- Using the Township's community buildings as warming centres if extreme weather conditions warrant it. This will require new generators.
- Questions and comments from the audience included:
- Compliments to the Township for its successes, including being debt free.
- The possibility of public transit between New Hamburg and Kitchener Waterloo (the Mayor suggested
that this might not be feasible due to lack of ridership.
- A suggested curling rink.
- Community centre upkeep.
2. Committee Reports
- Joe Figliomeni presented the year-end financials and auditors' report. Motion to accept - Joe; seconded - David Seyler. Carried.
- Nigel Gordijk gave a brief update on New Hamburg's Deals to Make You Smile, which will be going live on April 1. Nigel thanked the Township for its help in promoting this initiative on its website's homepage during April.
- Our annual golf tournament will be held on Monday, June 9. Chris Spotswood and Troy Hoerle will be organizing this event again.
- Board of Trade sponsored Christmas parties at the New Hamburg Community Centre. Menus from our caterers - The Waterlot, MeMe's and Puddicombe House - should be ready in April. Parties will be held on the following Fridays and Saturdays - November 14 and 15; November 21 and 22; November 28 and 29; December 5 and 6; December 12 and 13.
4. Review of meeting minutes
- Steve Wagler asked members to accept the minutes for our February monthly meeting and March's executive meeting. Motion - Paul Knowles; seconded - Herb Deutchmann. Carried.
5. New Business
adjourned: 8:58 p.m.
recorded by Nigel Gordijk.